Tipi Hire Companies

Get a Quote

Tipi Insurance

Teepee or Tipi..?

Comprehensive Tipi Insurance covering against perils such as fire, theft and vandalism. CoverMarque specialises in Insurance for temporary structure hire companies all around the UK. Whether your business is hiring out yurts, marquees, tipis or all of them, we will be able to arrange a policy where cover is needed.

We have two specialist Temporary Structure Scheme providers in which we can create a competitively priced bespoke policy to protect exactly what your business is doing. If your business isn’t solely tipis or temporary structures, the schemes can also accommodate liability for a range of descriptions including event organising, catering including bars, flooring, stages and mobile toilet hire.

Both schemes provide protection for your stock and associated equipment when it is in store, in transit and out on site anywhere in the UK, it can also cover any plant equipment and toilet and transportation trailers. This protection can also extend to cover any stock that you hire in to be able to complete a contract for example any generators or heaters.

Alongside these specialist insurance covers, we can supplement other insurance lines such as buildings and contents, computer and money cover to create your business one bespoke policy with one renewal date. In turn, making your insurance easier to manage from one place.

The advice and knowledge of a specialist temporary structure insurer is invaluable as the importance of the correct cover often only becomes clear when the worst happens – a claim.

Please call us on 01962 774421 if you would like to discuss your insurance. Alternatively, if your renewal date isn’t within 60 days, please complete our form Renewal Date by clicking the button below and we will get in touch with you closer to the time.

Renewal Date

Available Cover

  • Material Damage / Stock

    This protects your own and hired-in Property (e.g. Stock, Tools, Plant, Contents). Cover includes: Fire, Lightning, Theft, Explosion, Malicious Damage, Earthquake, Storm, Flood, Escape of Water, Impact by vehicle or animal and Accidental Damage. Select cover in Storage, Transit and/or on Contract Sites.

  • Public & Products Liability

    This protects you against your liability in respect of damage to other peoples' property or injury to other people.

  • Employers Liability

    This protects you against your liability to your employees.

  • Business Interruption

    This protects you against financial loss following an interruption to the business as a result of an insured loss or damage to your property.

  • Other scheme policy sections

    Our main scheme policy can also be extended to cover Money, Laptops and Phones, Commercial Legal Expenses, and Equipment Breakdown.


    Most Insurers only give a maximum limit of £5m. Another limit can be purchased to go on top of the current limit, this is called an Excess Layer.

  • Airside Liability

    Most Liability policies do not provide cover whilst working at airports. This is not included as standard but can be added on.


Do I need Employers Liability Insurance?

Employers have a legal obligation to carry Employers Liability Insurance which indemnifies the employer in respect of injury to its employees for which it is legally responsible. An employee is deemed to be any individual under a contract of service or apprenticeship with the insured, whether the contract is actual or implied.

There is a common misconception that Employers Liability is not required for subcontracted labour. For Marquee Companies this is invariably not the case because under the terms of the relevant law, if the employer has direct control over the activities of such persons or provides tools or equipment for them to use, then the employer can be liable. Employers Liability is not normally required in respect of ‘Bona Fide’ contractors, who will complete a given job without supervision, using their own tools and equipment. Typically, these jobs will form part of the overall contract, for example, provision of an erected marquee, installation of lighting or sound systems, or catering. It is important to ensure that these contractors have their own appropriate insurance cover in force.

The legal penalties of failing to effect adequate Employers Liability insurance are severe, but perhaps even more significant are the implications of the potential cost of a successful claim against an uninsured company. In an increasingly litigious society, personal injury claims are becoming frequent and of greater magnitude.

Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

Although not a legal requirement, Public Liability Insurance is essential no matter how small or large your business and is particularly important for businesses that work with or come into close contact with members of the public. Public Liability protects your business against legal liability claims arising from injury to third party person or damage to third party property where you are proven negligent. Incidents can occur anywhere and at any time, from an employee carrying a marquee pole and accidentally knocking over a garden ornament to a client visiting the office and tripping over a loose bit of carpet and breaking their wrist.

Basis of Settlement - which is the best option for me: Indemnity or Reinstatement?

Equipment can be insured on an Indemnity Basis (second hand value) or on a Reinstatement Basis (new for old). In the marquee industry, due to a relatively low availability of second-hand equipment and a need to buy compatible replacement equipment, it is normally advisable to choose the Reinstatement Basis.

Regardless of which option is chosen, the ‘Sum insured’ should accurately reflect the amount of all of your own and hired in equipment.

What is Business Interruption Cover?

Following a loss of equipment or premises, a business may not be able to trade as normal until a replacement has been made.

At the beginning of the marquee season, the production lead time of suppliers can be lengthy, causing a major disruption. Business Interruption insurance enables a company to claim for resultant loss of ‘Gross Profit’ or ‘revenue’ relating to contracts which it cannot complete. The insurer can often minimise the claim by enabling the insured to complete contracts by funding the temporary hire or replacement equipment, i.e. the increased cost of working. This is also beneficial to the marquee company as their clients will not be let down, enabling future repeat business and recommendations.

What is the Business Interruption Indemnity period and how do I know what Indemnity Period I need?

Indemnity period is defined as the period during which the business is affected by the loss and that indemnity period can only be decided by the business itself. As a business you should consider how long it will take to get the business back to its position prior to the interruption taking into account the type of business, lead times to replace stock and even keeping your valuable employees and customers. For example, a shop has a fire and is unable to trade. If it takes 24 months to rebuild that shop, 12 months indemnity would not be enough.

Is hired in stock covered by my insurance policy?

As standard our Policy Wordings automatically include in the Stock section cover for hired in stock for which you are contractually responsible.  Therefore, your Stock Sums Insured should include an allowance for hired in stock.

Do I need to be a member of MUTA?

No. However, we recognise MUTA as the leading Trade Association for the Temporary Structure Industry, and their Best Practice Guide as an Industry benchmark.

Can we recommend other suppliers to the industry?

Click here for specialist products and services for Temporary Structure Hirers.


Always on hand to provide you with information, advice and guidance.

01962 774421 info@covermarque.com

Wind Gust Checker

ERECTING A MARQUEE? Use our handy tool to check the wind gust in your area.

Max wind gust results for the next 15 days in